The World Health Organisation (WHO) has announced that over 100 cases of Ebola had been recorded in the northwestern part of DR Congo.
The resurgence of the Ebola outbreak in DR Congo was first observed on June 1, as the government of the country prepared to declare the eastern part of the country free of the disease.
According to the WHO, the current outbreak has claimed over 43 lives, after it spread to 11 of the country’s 17 health zones.
Speaking on the matter is the WHO’s regional director to Africa, Matshidiso Moeti who said, “With 100 Ebola cases in less than 100 days, the outbreak in Equateur Province is evolving in a concerning way.
“Without extra support, the teams on the ground will find it harder to get ahead of the virus.”
The organisation’s Director-General, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, spoke of the complication in the fight against the disease, as health workers have gone on strike, disrupting the administration of vaccines and the provision of safe burials.
He said, “This is concerning, because the longer a patient goes without treatment, the lower their chances of survival, and the longer the virus can spread unseen in communities.
“The situation has been further complicated by a strike by health workers, which is affecting activities including vaccination and safe burials.
“DRC has the best-trained workforce in the world for Ebola. This situation needs to be resolved as quickly as possible.”