Cases of Coronavirus disease in South Africa has hit over 700,000 since the outbreak of the dreaded disease, Bibian Anekwe News understands.
On Sunday, October 18 in the newly reported cases of the infectious disease in South Africa, Health Minister, Zweli Mkhize, and his wife were both confirmed positive for the dreaded disease.
So far, over 18,000 people were reported dead of the novel virus in the country, while over 635,000 people have recovered from the same, Bibian Anekwe News reports.
Reacting to his COVID-19 test result on Sunday, Mkhize said, “I am now in quarantine at home and both my wife and I remain optimistic that we will fully recover from this virus.”
Bibian Anekwe News understands that the minister was tested on Saturday after showing mild symptoms of the novel virus.
Mkhize who is a trained medical doctor while speaking on Sunday urged citizens to continue adhering to health protocols by wearing masks, sanitizing correctly and maintaining social distancing.
He said, “Whatever we do and wherever we go, we have to keep in mind that there remains a risk of a second wave.”
Meanwhile, the Nigeria Center for Disease Control (NCDC) on Sunday evening, 18th October 2020, confirmed 133 new cases of coronavirus disease infection in Nigeria.